A sore throat is a pain in the throat characterized by irritation, which gets worse during the normal process of swallowing. A person has persistent pain in the throat during this condition and one cannot eat a single thing properly. Essential oil for sore throat is an amazing treatment for this problem. They serve as a natural medication to this irritation which is free from any side effects.
Essential oils extracted from plants have been naturally used for respiratory tract infections, including sore throat and are used nowadays as ethical medicines for colds.
In the medicinal field, inhalation therapy of essential oils has been used to treat acute and chronic bronchitis and acute sinusitis.
Inhalation of vapors of essential oils enhances the output of respiratory tract fluid. And also regulate the ventilation and drainage of the sinuses if use properly had an anti-inflammatory effect on the trachea and reduced asthma, claimed by Shigeharu Inouyea, Toshio Takizawab and Hideyo Yamaguchia on oxford journals
Causes of Sore Throat or Strep Throat
Strep throat or sore throat” is a bacterial or Viral infection of the throat.
The type of bacteria linked to this infection is called “Streptococcus”,
Signs and Symptoms of Sore Throat
Signs and symptoms of a sore throat can vary depending on the cause. This might include
- Pain aggravated by swallowing or talking
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swollen glands in the neck or jaw
- Swollen, red tonsils
- Pain or a scratchy sensation in the throat
- White patches all over your tonsils
- Hoarse or cracked voice
Common infections causing a sore throat might lead to these symptoms below:
- Runny nose
- Body aches
- Nausea or vomiting
There are numerous essential oils for sore throat. The top 7 of them are mentioned below:
Top 7 Essential Oil for Sore Throat that Works Fast
1. Peppermint essential oil
It is important to oil used for sinus inflammations, common cold, cough, respiratory and mouth infections.
Plus it is an amazing remedy for sore throat.
Actually, it contains an element called menthol.
This provides a cooling effect and calms the entire body. Its anti-microbial effect relieves sore throat and ends coughing.
It is commonly used for the treatment of the common cold, cough, sinus infections and respiratory infections. Peppermint essential oil contains menthol, which provides a cooling sensation to the body.
How to apply it:
It is very easy to apply.
- Take 5 to 6 drops of peppermint oil and apply it topically.
- You will surely feel the difference in a day or two.
Other methods of apply peppermint essential oil for sore throat are:
- Make sure that you will also rub it in the process since this is the area usually affected by pain when you have a sore throat.
- You can also place a drop of peppermint essential oil on your tongue.
- You can apply it forehead, temples, and neck and massage it gently and evenly.
- This will aid a fast relief from your sore throat.
- Some people evenly use peppermint essential spray oil inside their bags so that they can spray it on their tongue each time.
2. Eucalyptus Essential oil
Oil extracted from the eucalyptus tree is an excellent remedy for sore throat inflammation. It is an important ingredient for commonly available cough syrups.
It brings a wide range of advantages including protection of immune system, respiratory system improvement, and antioxidant protection.
The health benefits of eucalyptus essential oil are derived from its key ingredient cineole.
Cineole is an organic element and is found to have astounding effects with respect to reducing inflammation and the death of leukemia cell.
Numerous drugs to treat sore throat and the regular cool contain eucalyptus.
It is found in numerous capsules, cough syrups, rubs, and vapor showers all through the United States and Europe.
Specialist in natural medicine frequently prescribes utilizing eucalyptus as a part of rinse to relieve sore throats and treat bronchitis and sinusitis.
Eucalyptus salves are likewise utilized on the nose and mid-section to calm blockage. Eucalyptus oil releases mucus, such a large number of individuals take in eucalyptus steam to treat bronchitis, cough, and influenza.
How to apply it:
Eucalyptus oil can either be applied topically or inhaled in the form of a droplet.
It can also be taken when mixed with other essential oils.
3. Oregano Essential Oil
This commonly available natural herb when applied in oil form can act as an essential oil for sore throat treatment.
It possesses anti-viral and anti-fungal characteristics. So it acts as a defensive agent against sore throat.
Research has also revealed that it can act even against parasites.
It can be either applied directly to the skin or can be added to other foods.
4. Hyssop Essential Oil
Hyssop is an essential oil for sore throat treatment. It is a very strong substance for killing bacteria.
Moreover, it is the best option for sore throat and any other respiratory inflammation.
Application: It can be applied directly by gently massaging the surface.
5. Clove Essential Oil
Clove is a superb herb with a lot of curing properties.
Its essential oil is also very beneficial and can be used to augment the power of our immune system.
So it is an effective home medicine for the treatment of sore throat.
According to the research in Phototherapy clove has shown antimicrobial activity against a vast number of multi-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis. Cove essential oil antiviral ability to purify blood increases resistance to a multitude of diseases, such as sore throats.
Application: it can be either chewed or its essential oil can be massaged on the throat.
6. Thyme Essential oil
It is an anti-oxidant and anti-microbial agent used from ancient times. It supports various bodily systems.
A recent report tried thyme oil’s reaction to 120 strains of microbes isolated from patients with contamination of oral depression, respiratory and genitourinary tracts. The aftereffects of trials demonstrated that the oil from the thyme plant showed amazingly solid action against the greater part of the clinical strains. Thyme oil even showed a decent adequacy against anti-microbial safe strains. What a beyond any doubt wager for that scratchy throat
How to apply it
Thyme extract in the form of oil can be applied on the area of the throat which can easily soothe this ailment.
7. Lavender Essential Oil
This kind of oil has a great of antibacterial, antiviral properties and is one of most effective essential oil for sore throat.
This is the kind of oil that is best utilized in the event that you have a sore throat that is because of viral and bacterial diseases.
Lavender essential oil functions admirably in curing minor throat contamination so it is essential to make utilization of this oil quickly at the onset of the sore throat.
How to apply it :
- Add lavender oil to some warm water.
- Wash close to the base of the throat for around a moment or two.
- Release the water and lavender oil at the same time.
- Do recall not to savor it since this may spread the infection and the microscopic organisms to different parts of the body.
Best Formulas Using Essential Oil for Sore Throat
Simple, Anti Sore Throat Steam Inhalation
- A bucket of steaming hot water.
- 3 drops clove essential oil
- 3 drops juniper berry essential oil
How to apply it
- Add the clove and juniper berry essential oils to a bucket of steaming hot water.
- Wrap a towel over your head and cover to make a tent over and around the bucket.
- Inhale the stream 5 minutes.
- You can likewise mix 3 drops of lemon oil and 1 drop of eucalyptus oil to your water, swish for 10 seconds and after that drink it
Essential oil for Sore Throat and Cold Ointment for Babies
This helps you, young kids, to have a mild and normal for sound sleep
- 10 drops lavender oil
- 5 drops frankincense oil
- 5 drops tea tree oil
- 3 teaspoons beeswax
- 3 teaspoons cocoa butter
- 9 teaspoons coconut oil or olive oil
How to apply it:
- Melt beeswax and cocoa butter in a double boiler,
- Add the coconut oil and essential oils.
- Pour the mixture a clean bottle and leave to cool before closing the lid.
- Rub the salve ointment on the bottoms of your baby’s feet, chest, or back twice a day.
Natural homemade sore throat Tea
- 1 cup of water
- 2 teaspoonful of honey
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- Pour water into your tea mug
- Mix it with honey and micro-ware it for 1-2 minutes
- Add fresh lemon juice
- Add sugar, then stir it thoroughly until everything is dissolved.
- You can take this drink twice a day
I suggest drinking the tea twice a day for the best home remedies essential oil for sore throat.
In the morning you may feel the worst, drink a cup immediately you wake up
Note: Avoid the caffeine and dairy if you can
Best essential oil for sore throat are: cedar-wood, frankincense, and hyssop, eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary, sage, tea tree, sandalwood and you can apply them via these methods below :
Essential oil Diffuser
- A diffuser works incredibly to spread the essential oils into the air you inhale and diminish sinuses blockages and get rid the bacterial or infections that bring about a sore throat and cold.
- Add a couple drops to your essential oil diffuser and diffuse for the duration of the day to help you inhale all the more effective.
- Diffuse around evening time in your room till you go to bed for night rest.
- Add 1 to 2 drops essential oil into the palms of your hands and rub them together to spread the oil.
- Put them over your nose and take 4-6 profound and moderate breaths.
- To clear sinus blockage, add a couple of drops of lavender essential oil to a dish of steaming hot water.
- Wrap a towel over your head and take in the steam, and inhale the steam for 4-7 minutes.
Take a warm Bath
- Add 5 to 10 drops of essential oils to your shower tub to clear the blockage.
- If you have tender skin, you want to dilute it with 1 tablespoon carrier oil (e.g olive oil) and add it to your bathtub water.
Should you throw away your toothbrush after a diagnosis of a sore throat?
The common knowledge has it that when get a sore throat you should replace your toothbrush after suffering from the cold or flu or a bout of sore throat. That may not be necessary.. At least when it comes to sore throats, according to a study to be presented Saturday, May 4, at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) annual meeting in Washington, DC.
According to the research, it is probably unnecessary to throw away your toothbrush after a diagnosis of strep throat,” said co-author Judith L. Rowen, MD, associate professor of pediatrics in the Department of Pediatrics at UTMB.
Prevention for sore throat
- Don’t share drinking glasses or utensils with others.
- Avoid contact with commonly touched surfaces.
- Reduce exposure to allergens, like pollen, dust, and mold.
- You want to stop cigarette smoke.
- Maintain a humidifier in your house to get rid of dryness
- Use natural hand sanitizer whenever soap and water are not available.
These are the basic home-based natural remedies essential oil for sore throat. But if the problem persists for a longer time, then a doctor must be consult