Exercises for Muscular Endurance and Strength – Your ability to complete everyday tasks from lifting an object to walking is possible because you have conditioned your muscle to handle that particular activity. Muscle endurance plays an important role in your daily activities.
All sporting activities, your daily walk, and your early morning workouts or yoga all demand muscle endurance.
It is for this reason we have put together the best exercise for muscular endurance.
It is commonplace to hear questions like; “how can someone increase their muscular endurance? or What types of exercises should I do to increase my muscular endurance?”.
In this article, we explain the best exercise for muscular endurance that you can use to boost the endurance of your muscles.
What is Muscular Endurance and How You Improve It?
Some of you might be wondering; “what exactly is muscular endurance?” Muscular endurance simply means the ability of a given body muscle to exert force, repetitively and consistently, over a long period of time. You can choose to call this stamina, just like most people do.
Muscular endurance plays an important role in your daily activities.
For athletes, long-distance running is a sporting event that requires a great deal of muscular endurance. In the course of the race, the athlete’s body performs the same movement repeatedly.
The advanced level of their muscular endurance enables them to avoid extreme fatigue and injury.
New research shows that Endurance training can help in dealing with muscle inflammation, and general muscle damage(1).
Do not think it is only athletes that can benefit from increasing their muscular endurance.
These best exercise for muscular endurance provides all sort of benefits to your body and wellbeing.
These exercises help you sleep better, increase your energy levels and also help improve your overall body health. Below is the best exercise for muscular endurance.
The 7 Best Exercises for Muscular Endurance and Strength
There are so many exercises that can help you improve your muscular endurance.
After going through different exercises, we have compiled a list of the 7 best exercises for muscular endurance.
These exercises will help you boost your muscular endurance and even add strength to your body.
1. Walking Lunges
You must have heard about how effective lunges are. Walking lunge is a whole different ball game as it takes the lunges to a new level.
They improve your leg’s muscular endurance and also improve the overall strength in the legs and also your core.
You can perform walking lunges in your home or at your favorite gym. You can decide to add weights to make the exercise more challenging.
How to do the Walking Lunge
- Begin by standing upright and make sure your feet are shoulder-width apart.
- Take a large step forward using your right leg and at the same time, drop down your body and ensure the leg left behind touches the floor.
- Push down using your front heel and return to the standing position.
- Also, perform the same movement on the other leg.
- You can perform 5 sets of about 30 lunges. Make sure you perform 15 lunges on each leg.
2. Sit-Ups Workout for Abs
The Sit-Up is an effective exercise and one of the most popular exercises that focus on boosting your muscular endurance.
Sit-Ups engage the abdominal muscles by lifting the weight of the upper body for an extended period of time.
Below is a guide on how to perform one of the best exercises for muscular endurance.
How to do Sit-Ups
- Lie with your back flat on the floor and ensure your feet is flat on the floor and your legs bent.
- Bring your hands just beneath your neck and make sure your elbows are out to your sides.
- Engage your stomach muscles and use the muscles to bring your torso up to make it flush with your thighs.
- Then, guide your body down gently to make sure your muscle use is being maximized.
- You can do 5 sets of about 25 reps.
3. Planks for Strength
The Plank is a bodyweight exercise that helps you to maintain a constant amount of muscular activity in order to hold a given posture for a long period of time.
Planks are one of the best exercises for muscular endurance that you can find around.
You might think this exercise looks simple, but you should actually wait till you try it out. This exercise works your shoulders, abdominals, lower back, chest, thighs, and also the buttocks.
Follow the instructions below to learn how to do the Plank workout.
How to do the Plank
- Begin by lying on the ground with your hands clasped just in front of you roughly under the forehead. Your toes should also be tucked under.
- Now press up and balance on your toes and forearms.
- Pull in your abs to ensure that your lower back does not sag. Your hips should also not drop.
- Keep your torso straight with your abs pulled in. This will help to support you.
- Hold the position for 10 counts.
4. Shoulder Press
The shoulder press exercise is a must for the average man or woman that is just looking to have a healthier life.
This exercise helps to increase the shoulder muscles’ endurance and also gives you a stronger shoulder.
With this, you become more resilient to injury and your body will look stronger and sexier.
Follow the guide below to perform one of the best exercises for muscular endurance.
How to do the Shoulder Press
- Begin by holding a dumbbell in each of your hands and sit up on a chair with stable back support.
- Ensure your feet is placed on the floor and at a hip-width apart.
- Do not also forget to engage your abs and make sure there is just a little gap between the back of the chair and the small of your back.
- Bring your palms forward and bend your elbows while you raise up the dumbbells. Bring up the dumbbells to the same level as your ears.
- Then straighten up your arms over your head and make sure you do not lock your elbows.
- Slowly lower to the starting position.
- You can do 3 sets of about 10 reps.
5. Squat for Butt and Thigh
The squat is a fantastic exercise that works your thighs and also the buttocks muscles.
Squat workouts are viewed as one of the best exercises for muscular endurance.
It is a compound, full-body exercise that focuses on the muscles of the thighs, hips, and buttocks.
You also get the added benefit of strengthening the bones and ligaments throughout your lower body.
Follow the guide below to perform the squat exercise.
How to do the Squat
- Begin by standing with your feet at hip-width apart and also ensure your body weight is slightly on your heels. You should also place your hands on the hips.
- Engage your abs and stand tall with a lifted chest and square shoulders.
- Sit back and go down just as if there is a chair present behind you to sit on.
- Go down as far as you can and make sure your upper body does not lean more than a few inches to the front.
- Now straighten your legs and come back up to the starting position.
- Make sure you avoid locking your knees once you get to the top.
- You can do 5 sets of 25 reps.
6. Push-Ups Exercise for Muscle Endurance
The Push Up is arguably the most popular exercise you can find around.
This exercise primarily works on your chest muscles, shoulders and also the muscles of the arms.
It is regarded as one of the best total body functional workouts that is effective for increasing muscular endurance and increasing strength in your lower body and the core.
Follow the guide below to perform one of the best exercises for muscular endurance.
How to do the Push-Up
- Begin by lying flat with your stomach on the floor.
- Push your body off the floor and also assume a plank position.
- Use your hands and your toes to hold your body up.
- Bring yourself back down until you feel your chest touching the floor.
- Swiftly push down on the palms and also bring your body back up to assume a plank position once again.
- You can do about 5 sets of 15 reps.
7. One-Arm Row
One-Arm Row is another great exercise that helps you build muscular endurance.
You also get the added benefit of a thicker and wider back.
It also strengthens your chest muscles and works your triceps with the shoulder muscles.
How to do the One-Arm Row
- Begin by standing to the left of a chair with your feet at hip-width apart.
- Grab a dumbbell with your right hand and also make sure your palm is facing inward.
- Engage your abs and bend to the front from your hips. This will make your back have a slight arch and your body roughly parallel to the ground. Your knees should be bent at this point.
- You can place your left hand on the seat beside you to aid your balance.
- Now pull up your right arm along the side of your body till your elbow is pointing towards the ceiling and you feel your hand brushing against the waist.
- Then gently lower the dumbbell back down to make one rep.
- You can perform 3 sets of 12 reps each.
Working on your muscular endurance will provide unimaginable benefits for you. It will provide you with improved strength and also make your everyday tasks easier.
These best exercises for muscular endurance are your best bet for increased muscle endurance.
Not only will they boost your muscular endurance, but they will also give you an increased strength that your body will be thankful for.
Always remember to drink lots of water when working out. Your muscles will also benefit from consuming a healthy diet.
Lastly don’t forget to drink green tea, because green tea extract increases exercise endurance 8-24%, using fat as energy source, burn excess fat, and thus make you lose weight, a new study shows(2).